Publication design is the thoughtful process of integrating text with images to visually support the content. Reader-friendly print materials are easily scannable for information and engage the audience with elements that catch the eye.
When we design an alumni magazine, for example, we look for opportunities to include callouts of related information or illustrations to visualize an article. For research reports or strategic plans, we suggest smart and interesting ways to display data visually, such as charts and infographics. For annual reports, we focus on conveying the story behind the organization, because they are most often used for donor relations.
The process is critical in producing print materials on time, on budget, and without complication. Our experience with print production allows us to make smart design choices from the start and guide you through the process of selecting the right paper, proofing, producing, and distributing your publication.
Details matter. In multi-page layouts there are many small, but important things to consider — footnotes and folios, active links for a web version, widows, orphans, copyrights, photo credits and many more. We take pride in paying attention to the details and creating pieces you are proud to share.
Types of publication design:
- annual reports
- direct mail
- research reports
- strategic plans
Our approach to publication design:
- Discovery: discuss goals, audience, discuss content
- Structure: develop hierarchy and sequence of the content
- Ideas: generate ideas to visualize key concepts and messages.
- Design: create a look and feel to express the brand of the organization using sample pages
- Image assets: develop infographics, photography, and other image assets
- Layout: create the layout of the full publication
- Cover design: design a powerful, representative visual sparking curiosity
- Production: iterations, proofing, and working with print partners to produce and distribute your publication