Join our team
We are always happy to meet talented new people. We value:
- Creativity – challenging boundaries, exploring, embracing different approaches
- Curiosity – continuing to learn, asking lots of questions, actively seeking inspiration
- Caring – being human, empathy, owning the well-being of each other and our clients
- Collaboration – not being a diva, craving the exchange of ideas
- Commitment – perseverance, moving forward together, dedicating wholeheartedly
- Productivity – having a bias for action, not being a bottleneck, remaining flexible
Opus Design is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
US-based applicants only, please.
We are looking to add a mid-level or experienced front-end developer to our creative, collaborative, and fun team. The front-end developer will be responsible for implementing responsive and accessible WordPress (90%) and Drupal (10%) themes based on design mockups. The engineer will also be a valued leader of continuous process improvement initiatives.
- Front- and back-end development related to custom theming for WordPress and Drupal Themes (90% WordPress)
- Implement design mockups to fully functional themes
- Maintaining and implementing excellent coding standards
- Produce 100% valid, bug-free HTML
- Collaborate with/advise design and UX team
- Collaborate and coordinate with freelance developers, conduct code reviews
- Act as the release engineer using Git
- Deploy websites when ready for launch, coordinate hosting as needed
- Obsessive attention to detail
- Manage all aspects of the development lifecycle
- Manage time and stakeholder expectations by setting and consistently meeting deadlines
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Experience developing themes, plugins/modules
- Min. of 3 years of experience with custom WordPress theming
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with developing accessible websites
- Advanced Git skills and respective branching strategies
- Ability to customize WordPress with minimal use of plugins
- Knowledge of relational databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL), data manipulation with SQL-queries
- Superior project management skills, familiarity with Basecamp or similar
- Natural curiosity for emerging trends and technologies, and willingness to learn and share
- Motivated, reliable self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, action-oriented environment
- Smart problem-solver, strategic thinker with an ability to “figure stuff out”
- Interest in good design and learning about design
- Knowledge of Adobe XD
- Experience working with education, nonprofit, or food industry
- Experience working with/leading a team of freelance developers
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision insurance, short and long-term disability insurance
- Profit-driven bonus biannually
- 401K matching
- Professional development budget and tuition reimbursement
- Summer and Winter Team Offsites
- Office snacks & treats
- Competitive vacation and holidays
- Christmas holiday break – approx. 1 week in addition to standard vacation time
depends on experience
Our graphic design apprenticeship program, accredited by Mass Mentoring, prepares you for a promising career in graphic design. This is not an internship doing file management or administrative tasks. It is a true apprenticeship, where you make valuable contributions and art directors take a personal interest in your career path and development. Our program is effective because it gives you time to explore, participate, ask questions, and learn!
During the apprenticeship you will:
- work on interactive and print projects including logos, brochures, books, invitations, presentations, websites, icons, and infographics
- learn about print production, go on a press check, and work with print vendors
- learn how to work with clients
Apply by April 1. Qualified candidates are invited to interviews in our graphic design studio in April and the student chosen for the apprenticeship is notified in May. The work starts in September. You must be able to commit 10 hours/week and we offer $15/hour. Depending on performance and fit, we offer the possibility to expand the apprenticeship to a second semester.
You must be a rising senior in a graphic design program.
Email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- cover letter
- completed Opus Design Apprenticeship Application
- portfolio website URL or electronic portfolio samples (PDF)
Candidates will be invited to interviews in April and the apprenticeship will be awarded in May.
Please apply with a cover letter, resume and portfolio sites to email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!